Friday, June 7, 2013

My Relationship With Debt

Growing up I knew that my parents were very aware of just how far a dollar went. They did the best they could to teach that principal to us. From very early on if we wanted to buy something special or attend a weekend camp with the church youth group we had to work to earn it. Whether it was cleaning around the house, doing yard work or helping my mom with her cleaning clients ... we worked to get the money. Another example: As soon as I turned 16 I was told if I wanted a car, the gas to drive around and spending cash to hang out with my friends I needed a job to make that money. I was even instructed to start applying for jobs a few month before turning 16 so that I could start ASAP. We were also taught about credit cards and loans and how you had to pay back interest. We were taught, I believe, more then average person. But as the stereotype goes just because you teach someone how to fish, it doesn't mean they'll follow your instructions.

When I went away to college I signed up for my 1st credit card. I remembered everything my parents told me and stayed frugal. Or so I thought. I clearly remember the shock of getting the credit card statement and realizing I had charged almost $900 in just a few months. I vowed to not spend another dime and pay the whole thing off. But as a college student working at a fast food restaurant the money wasn't rolling into my bank account. I paid the minimum (which was barely covering the interest). I was late a few times (only increasing my interest rate more and more). And despite what I promised myself I didn't stop spending like I should have. Long story short by the time I graduated from college I had $3500 racked up on my card.

Now, I know a lot of people reading this are probably saying. "Oh, that's not so bad!" And thank God it wasn't in comparison to other people I've met. But for someone straight out of college only making $24,000 a year it was a huge deal. I still had a car payment, rent (in Nashville) and the everyday expenses like TV, internet, food, gas, etc. I continued to only pay the minimum, which again wasn't a lot.

Then in 2010 while in prayer I got a message from God. No I didn't hear a voice talking from above or anything clairvoyant. It was just a feeling ... a nudge. I was angry that I wasn't advancing at work. I was angry that I wasn't in a relationship or anywhere near a prospect. I was just all around angry. That's when I was told that if I cleaned up the messes I could control, God would clean up the ones I couldn't. From that moment on I made a big financial change. I cut back on everything and anything that wasn't a necessity so I could start make large payments on my credit card. After paying my bills and putting $600 on my card I was living off of just $75 a week. That's for food, gas, everything ... I was EXTREMELY frugal.

Slowing I started seeing the numbers go down and I felt proud of myself. But beyond that, within 6 months of starting my financial journey I got a promotion at work. And a year later I met the man who would become my husband. It was so amazing to see that if I did want God asked of me he would fulfill his promise. I was able to pay off every piece of debt except a small student loan before I got married. Thankfully my husband was also debt free besides a mortgage.

I can't tell you how important it has been to our life to be mostly debt free. It's helped us plan dream vacations together and have the freedom to do things NOW that we may not be able to do once we have kids. It also gave us wiggle room when David left his job and wasn't bringing in a paycheck for 2 weeks. We still aren't rich nor anywhere close to being millionaires, but because we don't have big bills hanging over our head it's given us peace. I'm not telling you this story to brag or make others feel bad. I'm telling you this story to prove that God will work in your life if you follow his instructions. I was there ... I was stuck in debt ... and I came out on the other side victorious.

Matthew 6:24
"No one can serve two masters. Either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve both God and Money." .
Proverbs 22:7
"The rich rules over the poor, and the borrower is the slave of the lender."

2 comments:

  1. Great testimony Samantha! Being obedient to God allows him to bless us. Great word! I am inspired!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing your life stories! And yes I read all of them! Proud of you! This is Diane lol

    ReplyDelete